Rehab vs MacBook? Who wins?

On a upcoming Friday morning, I will be presented with a new MacBook Pro...yet another perk of working for the most forward thinking duo in Triangle real estate.  These two have made changes in all of us, that go further than just our businesses. They have shown us how to update and streamline our processes, provided tools that were once out of reach, and inspired us to strive to be better...better agents, better friends, better people.

With these changes, I have had to come to terms with a few things.  Although my business is doing well, it could be GREAT.  I do give back to my community, but I could do MORE.  And mostly, although I tend to pride myself on being organized, I am NOT!  It may appear to be on the surface, but don't open that file drawer.  And no matter what...don't look in my laptop files....seriously, you will be horrified. 

Yes, I probably have that email you sent me in 2008.  And the file you attached to it...in probably two places.   Need a hard copy, yep...that's here too.  That picture from that day at the beach in 2006, yep, it's here.  I have come to terms with the fact that it is time for an intervention.   I am an email and document hoarder.  I have been for years.  I have tried to hide it...I really have.  Today is the end of it.  I am moving on.... purging, sorting, and going cold turkey. 

So my personal assistant/Bichon, Ralph, and I will be spending the day cleaning up my laptop, my office, and my life.  We have done a little preplanning.  We have plenty of Diet Coke readily available.  Ralph's treats are at hand.  We have begun... We have already decided that Google Docs, is our new friend.   If only it would just intuitively know and upload what I needed.  I would happily purge the rest... I could come back tomorrow to a clean laptop with a ton of free memory.   But instead, I will sit here... and go through it all piece by piece, photo by photo, recalling events, transactions and the people who were there experiencing it with me.

If you need me on this dreary day, I will be upstairs, going down memory lane.  There may be some screams of frustration, a few tears, and yes, maybe even a curse word or two.  But at the end of the day, I will emerge... reformed, reorganized, and ready to take the helm of my a new sleeker life.

Popular Posts