I'M A DAD!!!

It always amazes me how quickly life can change.  You seem to be going along in one direction, perfectly content and focused, and from out of nowhere comes a curve ball that completely changes everything.

I have made no secret that my biggest regret was not being a father.  I remember taking a required class in high school, Child Development, and knew this was a job I wanted desperately, and would be able to master...or so I thought.  But there was plenty of time for that.

As the years passed, this dream faded and I gave up for many years.  Sure the discussion of it came up occasionally, but never went anywhere.  Except in my own head.   It arose again last September.  My partner John and I began discussing it after a visit to his brother's, and seeing their three beautiful little children.  They seem to love Uncle 'Brub' and Uncle Dave, we sure liked spending time with them, and though it would make for a huge change, maybe we should look into it.  After all, neither of us were getting any younger, and we couldn't wait any longer...

As usual, John approaches everything as a research project, and it wasn't long before we had the necessary information, were taking classes, and setting the process in motion.  There were so many forms, and fingerprints, and questions, and more forms, and interviews, and oh, did I mention forms??  There were times we felt like we were drowning in requests for more information about us, or families, and our past.  It is a great thing they were being so thorough to protect the children, but this was us!! 

Then came the wait.... months went by with little to no communication.  I can't tell you how many times we almost gave up.  The last of which was after a final request for information.  This one the most intrusive to date.  Should we do it?  Or is this a 'sign' for us to move on?  We debated it for a few days, but finally decided to submit the paperwork and see.  But it wasn't without reservation. 

A week later, came a call.  There were two little brothers, ages 9 and 2 1/2 that needed a home.  All indications were they were healthy, no developmental issues, etc, but the youngest was not school aged as we had requested.  We agreed to meet to discuss it that afternoon.  I can tell you I have made the drive from southwest Durham to North Raleigh many, many times.  This day, it seemed to take FOREVER!   Right before we arrived at the agency, our caseworker called.  There had been a mistake, there wasn't just two boys, there were FOUR!!!  After a mild stroke, we both regained our composure and decided we would still go talk to them...but FOUR BOYS??!!  How are we ever going to manage that?

Things moved very quickly.  That call took place a month ago, and these four amazing young men have lived with us for a full week now.  It is hard to describe what a difference they have made already.  My priorities are completely shifted, I think about them constantly, and am so in love with these four boys I can't even explain it.  Every smile, scraped knee, and bedtime pout melts my heart.  And I think they would tell you that we are doing a pretty good job getting them adjusted and accustomed to their forever home!  The best part is I think I have discovered...THIS IS WHAT LIFE IS ALL ABOUT!!  Everything else pales in importance to the happiness of these four little men.  We will show them a life they could never have imagined a month ago.  They will get a good education, see the world, and be able to follow their dreams...and hopefully put some of their early childhood experiences to rest.  They are my new world...and I have never been happier!

This will be the first Father's Day I haven't dreaded in a long time.  Since my own father passed away 17 years ago, it was always a bittersweet day...missing him, hoping he would be proud of the man I had become.  Today, I know he is smiling down on us, beaming over his new grandsons, and yes...maybe even a little proud of me.  Love you Dad!

Happy Father's Day Everyone!

They are taking over the neighborhood!

Popular Posts