Let's talk about elephants....

There are times in life lately when I find myself completely taken by surprise.  It could be the sound of a little boy jumping off his bed, the cry from a scraped knee, or the squeal of laughter of kids at play.  I am getting to where I am finally starting to get used to most of them.  I will listen intently for the source, go offer comfort or my services as a referee... or just smile and think about how much I love that our house is now filled with these sounds.

Tonight, it happened again.  A little three year old who has been sick for a couple of days decided he didn't want to go to bed.  After three stories, completely rehashing our entire day together, and lots of hugs and kisses, I finally reached for the lamp on his nightstand and told him goodnight.  He quickly grabbed me by the wrist, and said with the smile that melts this grown man, "Daddy, let's talk about elephants...".  I was exhausted.  It had been a long day, I had finished several house projects (many while carrying him) and began getting things organized for company to visit later this week.  But I looked into that little face and saw something I now live for... So we did talk about elephants, and then about tigers, and lions, and giraffes, and many other things.   I guess he just wanted to spend a little more time with his Dad.  Maybe he doesn't yet realize that a big part of me is always with him.  It is amazing how much I love this kid...

Popular Posts