Two Dads, Four Boys and a Reality TV camera?

At a recent work function, I got an opportunity to chat with one of my favorite co-workers.  Over a beer, we did the usual talk about business, life, and our kids.  He heartily laughed at my kid 'story of the day', and then said something that has stuck with me the last several days.  He said he wished he knew someone who produced reality television shows, as there could be nothing more entertaining than watching the activity at our house since the boys arrived.

After giving it some thought, he may have a point...

Now I openly admit, I have had reality TV fantasies.  There have been several days when I would have given my left arm to see SUPERNANNY's little black car pull in the drive.   She could chastise me on all the things I was doing wrong in her little English accent.  I can take it.  After all, when she left, they would listen.  (At least that's my dream.)  Oh, and maybe even use a napkin!  If she could teach them how to refill the toilet paper holder, she would be a miracle worker!

I do have some very serious concerns.   I don't want to be one of 'those' parents.  You know, where my haircut gets more attention than my children.  That would be sad.  Okay, fine, maybe that's not going to be a problem.  But what if I come off as more Count Olaf than the perfect Dad?   Everyone thinks I am all sunshine and rainbows all the time, but I do have moments where I might not be quite perfect.  (I am not looking for your comment here, but thank you anyway.)

And there are ways they could edit things and make us seem a little...well...strange.  After all, what would people think about the end zone celebrations that go on when our little one actually uses the 'big boy potty'?  Or the high drama of the latest lightweight bout between two oldest over a video game?  Sure, the daily before school fiasco is a hoot... who doesn't enjoy watching someone try to herd cats?  Oh, and let's not forget the riveting dinner table conversation.  We all know basic bodily functions are so hilarious.  The chaos at bath time would be worth a laugh.  It is a fact that wet towels and too much testosterone are never a good combination!  It will all be funny until someone loses an eye.  Yes, I did say that once.  I am not proud, and that will be our secret.

The glamour of reality TV is tempting.    The whole paparazzi thing could be a problem, as I hate getting my picture taken.   And believe it or not, we don't sit around being fabulous every day... usually just on weekends.

There are so many things to consider but truth be told, I would hesitate to sell out my children and invade their privacy for someone else's entertainment.  However, the very second someone comes along and offers up a housekeeper, and someone to do all this laundry, I am in!  After all, we all have our price.  Mine just comes with the fragrant aroma of Pine Sol and Downy!

Popular Posts