Turn down the volume on HATE.

Why is it that no matter what the difference between two groups, there is always one side that is more vocal.  Vehement.  Convinced they are right, and will hear no alternative views.  They themselves are not impacted, but due to their beliefs, feel it necessary to share their feelings about a subject as loud as they can scream.  These are the bullies of the American political system.  Some are making it an artform.

Bullying is something we tell our kids is unacceptable.  There are celebrity studded public service announcements, and school programs to address it, and we all agree it is wrong.  Why then do we accept it from our politicians?  Every four years, they bully each other, say untruths, and while climbing on the backs of those less 'worthy', hoping the public will agree and cast a vote for hate.

I am one of the people they hate.  I try to live my life being the best person I can.  I am a good friend, a considerate neighbor,  and supportive co-worker.  No matter what I do, I can't change what it is this group hates about me.  Trust me, I have tried.  I am gay.

I remember feeling 'different' when I was 7 years old, but thought I was just a shy kid, after all, what else could it be?  I played sports and tried to be the perfect child.  In high school, when I finally did figure out why I was different, there was no one to share it with, no one to talk to.   I hid.  I wasn't flamboyant in any way, there was no way to 'know'.  However, I must have been too quiet.  Maybe I should have asked out that girl who everyone knew liked me.  I heard the names and the rumors.  In a small town, everything echos.  It was in no way a 'choice'.   It is something I despised in myself for a several years, and slowly with the help of friends, both gay and straight, learned to accept.   I finally realized that this is a very small part of who I am, who any of us are, and I am no longer ashamed.  I choose to live my life openly.  Accept it or not.  It is your choice.

I am fortunate to have a partner of many years who I adore, and we now are parents.  Sure, not quite the way we wanted, there were more hoops to jump through than most people have, but we have done it.  We are now focusing on raising these little boys to be upstanding young men.  Thankfully, they are still small.   Although life at times has already been tough for them, they have a lot of time to just be kids.  It hurts me to think one of them would ever have to experience being bullied...for any reason, but especially for something he can not change.   So tonight, while watching the news, when our oldest asked, "Dad, why these people are so angry?  Did something happen to them?"  I had no answer.  I just hugged him and turned down the volume.

Comments

Popular Posts