How do I stop time?

Tonight I learned yet two more lessons in parenting.  My words actually came back to haunt me.  And time FLIES by at breakneck speed.

There has been a lot of hard work going on at our house.  The oldest at Sylvan, trying to catch up on those pesky multiplication skills.  The next, doing his usual quest for academic perfection.  The third, reading like there is no tomorrow, and my baby, in the final stages of potty training...it is time to become a 'big boy'.

It seems like yesterday they arrived with their belongings, four very scared little creatures unsure of what was to become of their lives.  Looking back at those pictures, not even a year has past, yet they seem so small.  So long ago.  This was before the first time they gave us a hug, before the first time they told us they loved us, and before the first time anyone called us "Dad".

Although I feel as if I have been paying close attention, the latest lessons snuck up on me.  Yesterday while playing basketball with the boys at their school, we ran into one of their teachers.   It seems one of our kids will soon be tested for AIG.   She said he had been doing the work for awhile, and it was time to do it...as long as we agreed.  He will be tested next week.   He couldn't be prouder of himself.

Today over homework, I noticed the oldest putting to use skills he has learned at Sylvan.  There was a time when he would have quickly given up and had a rough afternoon completing his work.  Today, he asked a question, looked it over, and solved the problems.  The kindergartener read two books, did his homework and then read two more on his own before going outside to play.

Tonight, I realized they are listening.  The youngest has been working very hard at becoming a 'big boy'.  He only wears big boy pants, and does a great job keeping himself clean and dry.  No accidents, even at night, for several days.   Tonight, after his stories, we talked about elephants, and lions, etc.  As we lay there, he decided it was time to break the news.  He doesn't want me to call him 'my sweet baby' anymore.  He is no longer a baby.  He is now 'my sweet boy'.    A little piece of my heart broke, as I realized he is going to grow up...very quickly.   That in fact, they all are.   They have changed so much, both physically, and emotionally.  They are actually thriving.  The scared little boys are gone.  Now they are confident, happy, and growing like weeds.

They will soon be gone, living lives of their own.  Maybe now I will start saying, "There is no place like home"....  After all, they seem to be listening.


Comments

Popular Posts