Have we met?

If we have, you know a few things:

- I am one of the good guys.   I am a good friend, kind neighbor, considerate coworker, and responsible citizen.

- I live a life probably very similar to yours.  I work hard, go home to a family that I adore, and try to be the best Dad and partner that I can be.

- I am not trying to be anything other than who I am.   Being true to myself has become much more important as I have grown older.

- I haven't made a 'choice'.   I am the person I was put me on this earth to be.  No one would choose to follow the path I have had to get to where I am today.   I have lost many 'friends', lied to family, and hid from myself at times... all to make other people happy.  No more.  If you have a problem with my lifestyle, it is just that...your problem.

- I do believe in God.  He is probably very similar to yours.  However, he is also very different from the one others seem to use to justify their ignorance and bigotry.

- I have no interest in your marriage.  I am not out to make it a mockery, or invalidate your commitment.  I wish you only the best.

-I am in love.  I was lucky to cross path with John many years ago, and we have made our life together.    We are there for each other.  Good and bad.  Always.  Unconditional.

- We have four little boys.  Sure, we don't share the same blood, but they couldn't be more our sons.  They have now what they didn't have when they were with their two biological 'parents'.   We are teaching them love, compassion, and tolerance.  In our family, it doesn't matter if someone has a Mom and a Dad, a Mom, just a Dad, two Moms, two Dads... a family is a family. LOVE is LOVE.

- Our oldest is asking why we can't all have the same last name.   That isn't an easy question to answer.  In this state, we can't both be listed on their birth certificates... Same sex adoption isn't allowed.
I can't marry my partner to make that happen either.  TOMORROW'S VOTE CAN NOT AND WILL NOT CHANGE THAT!

What exactly did I do to deserve that treatment?  If you knew me, you would know that answer.  Nothing.  Nothing at all.

I am confident the day will come when we no longer have to worry that an election will make things more difficult for our family.   Not for the neighbors, mind you, just for us.  Tomorrow, that is a very real possibility.

Any vote to validate someone else's life and relationships seems asinine.   It is none of my business.
Just as mine is none of any else's concern.

WHEN YOU GO THE POLLS TOMORROW, VOTE NO ON AMENDMENT 1!

Comments

Popular Posts