Love through the eyes of 10 year old.

We have all seen the signs.  We have heard the commercials, and the opinions of those around us.  As adults, we sometimes share our own ideas about current events on social media sites, and in conversations with friends and loved ones.  Today, I was forced to think about how this conversation affects those around us without a voice.

Our oldest finally asked me about the upcoming election and what I thought about all the signs about Amendment One.   Realizing I am very biased, I explained it to him very simply...using the wording that will be on the ballot, and only adding that some people think that being gay is wrong, and due to that, gay people shouldn't have the right to marry as others do.  (I think we can all agree this is the group this bill seems to target.  The others that would be affected are the unintended victims.)

I waited for his response.   You see...We speak openly at our house about how important it is to love each other...to respect other peoples opinions, especially when they are different than our own, and equally important, to always be true to ourselves.   We have had the conversations about how our family is different, but more importantly, how we are just like all the others.    

After a few minutes, he said, "You know, it seems pretty silly that anyone would ever be so worried about LOVE?  It just doesn't make sense.  We should be worried about all the hate."

I took a deep breath, smiled that proud Dad smile, and thought, "That's my boy!"

Comments

Popular Posts