Indoctorinating a new "Crazy" in Cameron


Over the past year or two, I have been asked a couple of times what I like most about being a Dad.  For a long time, it was a tough question for me, as there were so many things...

After Friday night, I have decided it is opening them up to new experiences they would have never gotten before they came to live with us.  Thanks to a friend and collegue, I was able to get two tickets to Duke Men's Basketball Countdown to Craziness...and I knew the perfect guy to take.  Zach, our oldest, is a HUGE Duke fan.  I am not sure where it came from (maybe those subliminal tapes I have piped into his bedroom at night), but he bleeds Duke blue.   He came home from school and was told he and I were going 'out'.  Sadly, I couldn't keep it from him even long enough to get out the door.
He was incredibly excited but didn't really know what to expect.  Actually, neither did I.
I had heard in the past there were three point and dunk contests, and some light scrimmaging, but mostly was all just a fun practice.

What we got was something completely different!  Charles had HOOKED US UP!  We had incredible seats!  I am talking the kind of seats some of us would gladly give up MAJOR body parts for... absolutely amazing...about 10 rows up right behind the Duke bench.  Mine was directly behind Coach K!
There was a spectacular video presentation highlighting the teams past, and promise for this year....which lead into the team introductions, a twenty minute full out scrimmage (mark my words...watch out for another Plumlee...this team is going to surprise some people) and an amazing speech by the absolute best leader in all of college sports.
This was all fantastic to watch, but what was better was the look of absolute awe on this little boy's face all evening.  He thanked me thirty times, even during the event, and absorbed everything he could from the experience.  Although I am sure he would be a Duke fan for years, this made a true impression.   A theme was repeated throughout the night.  Together, anything is possible.  Five as One.   It reminded me how I became a Duke fan back in 1982, and why I am such a sportsmanship fanatic.  It truly isn't whether you win or lose, but how you play the game.... a lesson I certainly have tried to pass on to my son.   When Coach K finished talking, I looked over and saw the look of determination on his face.  He gets it....I can see that now.

It was a very special night, and something I will never forget...and I am pretty sure he won't either.

Comments

  1. Dave I Remember like it was yesterday the day my dad and I went to my first Duke game. It was one of the happiest moments of a young boys life. We still talk about that story over 20 years later. I am truly happy that you and your son can share that kind of experience. GO Duke!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts