What else is between the pages of that book?

Believe it or not, I can still remember my childhood.  It was a magical time, filled with wonder, excitement, and all the good things every kid dreamed of...

Okay, you're right.  That is bullshit.

I had three older sisters who beat the crap out of me all the time.  I had to walk to school in knee deep snow, uphill, BOTH WAYS every day.  I could tell you stories that would make you scream in adolescent horror...

Actually, I can't.  My childhood in the 80's was great.  (..Um, excuse me?  That was rude.)  Okay then, the 70's were a time of great change and exploration...  (What was that?)  Fine, dammit, the 60's were pretty darn good too!

I remember going to the city library and reading as much as I could as a kid.  I would spend hours in my room getting lost in another world...anything to get away from my sisters.  I have recently discovered that some of those books are still around.  I remember reading about Little Bear, Sammy the Seal, and many others that are now on the bookshelves upstairs.  I love the fact my boys will experience these as I did.

Books for children seem so much more creative now...it isn't about simple sentences and quick conclusions anymore.  Some of these are written and illustrated by very talented people who can make a story entertaining for the child and parent alike.

I find myself looking forward to this time.  To be honest, it's one of the highlights of my day.  It is a rare few minutes of quiet here, and while lying on the bed with an enthralled three year old, I get to read things like this:

"Over the fields and the forests they flew.
The dog wagged his tail and the stormy wind blew.
The witch laughed out loud and held on to her hat,
But away blew the bow from her braid-just like that!"

That is a page from Nolan's favorite book "Room on the Broom" by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler.
It is a great Halloween story, about making friends and helping those who need you.  I have read it several times a week for the past YEAR.  That's right...I bought it for him in early October last year.  We read it at Halloween, all through Christmas, Easter, a couple times a day during summer vacation, and now we're at Halloween again.  No matter how many stories I read, he usually will say, "One more Daddy" and pull this out.

Maybe it's the characters, or the fantastic illustrations, or the strange voices Dad makes when he reads it.   Whenever you ask him what his favorite book is, with no hesitation he will say "Room on the Broom".  I sometimes wonder if he will remember this book many years from now, like I do those from my childhood.  I have read it so many times, I don't even have to read the words anymore.  I can recite it easily, and just lay and watch his reactions through most of it.  I too, love this book.

I would really like to think he would remember these stories and they become a special part of his memories of his life as a boy...and hopefully, he will also remember a glimpse of the time the two of us spent together every night.  And most of all, how VERY much his Dad loved him.

Comments

Popular Posts